Ginger Broth with Napa Cabbage and Carrots
TAGGED : Soup, SUGAR DETOX RECIPE
This soup is from Nicole Centeno’s Soup Cleanse Cookbook, which launched in August 2016, and is already dog-eared on my book shelf. The soup itself is bursting with flavor. Hardy carrots and crisp cabbage shine bright with color, delivering ample amounts of antioxidants and dietary fiber. Spicy ginger takes the lead, though, with a feisty kick of warmth that combats inflammation and calms your tummy.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more, to taste
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
- grated peel and juice of 1/2 orange
- ground black pepper, to taste
- mint leaves (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook the jalapeño pepper for 1 minute, or until soft. Add the scallions and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the cabbage, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots have softened somewhat and the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the water, coconut milk, orange peel, and orange juice, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the carrots and cabbage are tender. Season with additional salt and the black pepper.
- Serve warm or chilled with the mint, if using.
Vegetarian Dairy-free Gluten-free Nut-free Paleo Vegan