Jonah Crab and Guacamole Endive Amuse Bouche
TAGGED : SUGAR DETOX RECIPE
Last night I hosted a dinner that brought together my friends Rameet, Soraya and Brian. With the exception of Brian, I had only hung out with Rameet and Soraya in more networky-related settings, so it was such a pleasure to have some more one-on-one time with them around a dinner table.
What I didn’t quite expect was that the email that I earlier sent inviting friends to my house for a sugar free, home-cooked meal would really set the tone for the evening’s conversation. We traversed a plethora of health-related topics including a fairly in-depth discussion on how sugar and certain food allergies affect the body; how one cannot naturally get rid of fat cells – they either shrink or grow; the mysterious origin of Coca-Cola and its use of coca leaves in its sugar water; and Rameet’s “7 and 1” schedule, which I’m dying to talk to him about more on a future Conversations series if he’s up for it.
Aside from the great social gathering, I had prepared a light meal, which consisted of Jonah crab and guacamole endive; Ensalada de pepinos y tomates (Cucumber and tomato salad); Oven-roasted garlic scapes and Easter egg radishes; and seared Dayboat scallops with sugar snap peas and frizzled shiitakes.
- 1 endive
- 1/2 cup of Jonah crab
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 red spring onion, diced
- sprigs of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper, diced
- sea salt, to taste,
- pepper, to taste
- chile, to taste
- 1/2 lime
- Tomato achaar (I like Brooklyn Delhi's)
- Cut open the avocado, take out the pit and scoop out the center. Place into a mortar and mash.
- Put all ingredients into the mortar as well. Add salt, pepper, chile to taste and mash up. Squeeze lime and mash a little more. Place the guacamole into the endive with a spoon or with clean fingers. Add the Jonah crab on top (I thawed mine and then lightly cooked in a pan for 15 seconds); place a leaf of cilantro on top with a smear of tomato achaar.
Non-Vegetarian Dairy-free Gluten-free Nut-free Paleo Pescatarian