Roasted Portobello with Sautéed Sweet Onions, Red Peppers and Pomegranates
TAGGED : SUGAR DETOX RECIPE
I particularly love roasting Portobello mushrooms, both for their flavor and meatiness. But the combined ingredients: wild rice, sautéed onions and red peppers, pomegranates, red sorrel, add to the overall flavor in the meal.
- 1/2 cup wild rice (or rice blend)
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom broth
- 2 medium-sized Portobello caps
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red sorrel
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon granola or crushed walnuts (as a topping)
- pinch of sea salt, to taste
- Add the rice and mushroom broth to a pressure cooker. Bring to pressure and let cook for 25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare a baking sheet with two Portobello caps. Brush the caps with half of the olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Place the caps, gill side down, onto the baking sheet and heat in the oven for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Next, add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and begin to sauté the onions over medium heat until they start to caramelize. This may take 5-7 minutes. As they are starting to turn golden brown, add the red peppers and sauté them together for another 2 minutes.
- Plate the rice first, next add the onion-pepper mixture, and then add the Portobello. Top with pomegranate seeds, crushed walnuts or granola, and the red sorrel.
Vegetarian Dairy-free Gluten-free Vegan