Spicy Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
TAGGED : Soup, SUGAR DETOX RECIPE
With this beautiful, deep orange soup, you’ll learn how to tease out the sultry and sweet flavors from the butternut squash and sweet potato. The dietary fibers in the squash and sweet potato help increase satiety, reduce appetite, and keep your insulin in check. And the entire soup packs in the beta-carotene. Not to mention that this is a nifty and thrifty recipe that you can make for less than $5!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-3 inch chunks
- 1/2 butternut squash, halved, cored, peeled and cut in 2-3 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 quarts of homemade vegetable or chicken stock, divided use
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/4 tablespoon smoked paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 strips of uncured, pastured-bacon (remove if vegan/vegetarian)
- microgreens, for garnish
- Place the sweet potatoes and butternut squash on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle 1 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over them. Bake for 30 minutes at 400°F, turning halfway through.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a pan. Dice up the onion and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion start to caramelize, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and squash from the oven. Add the potatoes and squash to a large pot with 1 cup of homemade chicken stock for another 10 minutes. This pulls out more of the sugars and will deepen the color of the soup some more.
- Let onions, potatoes, and squash cool. Place that and a tbsp of peeled ginger in a food processor and pulse (or use an immersion blender) until it's well blended. Place back into pot and add the remainder of the homemade chicken stock. Add smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Sauté bacon in a pan until crispy, about 30 seconds each side; cut into tiny pieces.
- Place the soup in a bowl, add the bacon on top and garnish with microgreens
Non-Vegetarian Dairy-free Gluten-free Nut-free Paleo